Saturday, November 06, 2004

A Case Of The Gimmee's....

No, you can't always get what you want
You can't always get what you want
You can't always get what you want
And if you try sometime you find
You get what you need- Rolling Stones

My J is a proud supporter of consumerism. It's more of a religion for her, really. Yesterday during a necessary stop at Marshall's, she once again exercised her right to buy or rather, to pout, cry, plead, and annoy all those around her.

"Mommy, I want these bath toys."

"J, we already talked about this. I am not buying *any* toys today. We are here to look for snow boots and pants for sis."

"I never get anything."

"I know, you poor thing. J, you have those same bath toys at home."

"I don't have this orange dinosaur." Points out one of eight squirtie toys in the plastic packaging.

"We are not buying any toys. Let's go pay for these cool, pink snow boots."

Crying, (without tears), moaning, groaning, grudgingly following ten paces behind me.

"Mommy, you know what? I hate you." (Ah, the joys of preschool).

"J, you know what? I love you forever and forever."

We arrive at the register to be second in line to a woman who's giving me the same kind of look I used to give to people before I had children. I think about muttering the age old excuse of, "Oh, she's just really tired. We just came straight here from preschool." Instead, I opt for:

"J, we cannot buy something new each time we visit the store. See, mommy is buying you snow boots and sis is getting a new pair of pants. I'm not buying anything for myself today."

J scoffs, wrinkles her nose and brows, and gives a hmmmpph.

"What if I acted like this...Oh, look at that scrap of paper on the ground, I think I need that. Yep. Gotta have that. I think I'll buy it. OH, and would you look at that ball of gum that somebody spit out....that looks like perfectly good gum. I'll buy that too. Hmmm...what else do I need? I just gotta have that dust ball...yeah, that one, right there! (I shop at a particularly dirty Marshalls). Starting now, we are going to play a new game everytime we go shopping. It's called the I'm not gonna ask for everything I see and beg for it even if I don't need it game. If you say "I want this" or "Can we buy that" you *lose*. Ready, go!"

J is cracking up by now and the Oh-My-God-My-Kid-Will-Never-Act-Like-That lady is tsk tsking me for not handling the situation in a way that she would have deemed appropriate. Heres to hoping I run into her again in the future with her hell on wheels four year old in tow.

1 Comments:

Blogger Betsy said...

Oh, your daughter and mine could be twins.
And I've also run into that tsk tsking woman as well.

Except the game we play is 'you can't have that because I'm the meanest mom in the whole entire world, and I'm going for the gold medal, so I cannot be nice right now.'

The looks on people's faces when I proclaim my status as 'meanest mom' - with great glee, no less - is truly priceless...

3:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home